TOGAF® Online Virtual Classes
Corona taught us a new business model of online Virtual classes. Initially we felt the absence of face to face interaction but as the classes progressed we adjusted to the situation. Our virtual class contact hours of 18 hours spread over 3 weekends. Additional 12 hours are spent on case studies. Participants do the case studies at their own time and we discuss the case in the next session. Wehave put following into practice:
- Live presentation by sharing Trainer image on webcam. All participants are not comfortable sharing their picture all the time, so we have adopted realistic approach of shutting down webcam after initial introduction.
- While we keep pedagogy to the maximum, stretches of monologue from the trainer cannot be avoided when subject matter is complex. We experienced that sometimes the audio got disrupted and candidates were not able to hear for almost 20 minutes. The trainer got notified through repeat call and emails as we donotrespond to phones or emails during the class. After experiencing this incident once the trainer exchanged Mobil renumber with once volunteer participant and protocol was set that S/He will call when trainer voice is not being heard. This increased the quality of delivery and attention of participants.
- Case studies are an integral part of our course. We spend 12 hours of 30 hours on case studies to unravel complexities of Enterprise Architecture practice. Since Trainer contact hours are only 18, the participants have to do the case studies during their time on workdays. We have prepared case sudy videos to assist with detailed answer of case studies. This approach is very well appreciated by the candidates.
- In a recent batch candidates wanted an end-to-end case study implying business description, Enterprise Architecture elaboration, Diagram driven architecture and summary of solution. We have provided one case study which has been approved by The Open Group.
- Questions are welcome at any time during the course. We insist that the question be asked while the concept is being discussed, so that others also can see a context of the question. Of course well thought out questions arevery welcome.
The learning is very focussed in virtual class as other disturbances o facility is absent. The candidates are passing in a weeks’ time after completion of the course. Price is 15% cheaper than class room course as travelling, accommodation and food expenses have been eliminated.
Virtual classes are way forward.